Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Future of Us: Book Review

The Future of Us

Goodreads Blurb

It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long - at least, up until last November, when Josh did something that changed everything. Things have been weird between them ever since, but when Josh's family gets a free AOL CD in the mail,his mom makes him bring it over so that Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto their Facebook pages. But Facebook hasn't been invented yet. And they're looking at themselves fifteen years in the future.


If your like me, you saw Jay Asher's name on the cover of this book and was like, "Jay Asher? That's the genius behind 13 Reasons Why! Oh yes!"

Sorry, my friend. The books are completely different. 

Part of me wonders why the duo behind this book decided to team up. They are both great at what they do, but their books are completely different. So why? Why?

I'm not saying I didn't like the book. I liked it quite much. But if I'm being honest with myself, the writing wasn't all that great. The storyline was cliche  And part of me was wondering how far they could go with the Facebook thing. Had it been me,y'know, in the main character's place, I would've been like "Oh, me in the future. Where's my solitaire icon?"

A lot of questions were also left unanswered. Stories of their classmates in the future arose, but the ends were not tied. Some where just dropped. There was a little too much for the imagination to wonder about. 

So I have to kill this book. It barely passes, with a 6/10. I know I said I liked it, but it's not on my reread shelf, or any shelf of mine. It's back on the library's shelf, where it belongs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rating