Friday, March 1, 2013

One Moment by Kristina McBride: Review

One Moment
Goodreads Description:

This was supposed to be the best summer of Maggie’s life. Now it’s the one she’d do anything to forget.

Maggie remembers hanging out at the gorge with her closest friends after a blowout party. She remembers climbing the trail with her perfect boyfriend, Joey. She remembers that last kiss, soft, lingering, and meant to reassure her. So why can’t she remember what happened in the moment before they were supposed to dive? Why was she left cowering at the top of the cliff, while Joey floated in the water below–dead?

As Maggie’s memories return in snatches, nothing seems to make sense. Why was Joey acting so strangely at the party? Where did he go after taking her home? And if Joey was keeping these secrets, what else was he hiding?

Recently, I had the chance to read One Moment by Krisina McBride. Nowadays, when I go to the library  I've been picking up random books my librarian has laid out for us.  So I picked One Moment up without even reading the full description. Best decision of my life. 

Wow. I just sounded pathetic.

The book begins with Maggie at a clifftop with her boyfriend and her friends. In the next moments, he's dead. She's the last person to see him, but she can't remember what happened. While she struggles to find the memories she desperately needs, she learns the secrets of her boyfriend's past that she has overlooked. 

Like the Outsiders (S.E. Hilton), this author wrote the book so that there doesn't need to be constant action going on for it to be interesting. But it was. This book was amazing. It was written in such a beautiful way. I remember at one of the climatic points in the book, I went to bed with an ache in my stomach. The author made me feel compassion for the girl and made me become right there with her friends. It made me feel Joey's death as if one of my own friends had died. (If I had friends.)

One Moment lets us come to terms with Maggie figuring out her past and the lies her boyfriend told her. I cannot tell you how great this book is, so I guess I'll rate it now. 

My verdict is to definitely keep this book. Its gives me hope for the author's in America. 

Now, if you excuse me, I need a moment.   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Rating