Friday, March 22, 2013

Boy Nobody by Allen Zadoff: Review

Boy Nobody

Blurb: When his own parents died of not-so-natural causes at the age of eleven, Boy Nobody found himself under the control of The Program, a shadowy government organization that uses brainwashed kids as counter-espionage operatives. But somewhere, deep inside Boy Nobody, is somebody: the boy he once was, the boy who wants normal things (like a real home, his parents back), a boy who wants out. And he just might want those things badly enough to sabotage The Program's next mission.
Disclaimer: I received a free advanced reading copy, indirectly from the publisher. 



Let's see. Where do I begin. 
If you saw my Waiting on Wednesday post, you  probably know that I had fairly good feelings about this book, so I won't even try to downplay it. Hell, this may even be my new favorite book! And that's saying something. 

Let's start with the story. The plot is something no less than unique. It put all my "writing" to shame, basically. There is nonstop action in the book, although it takes place over less than a week, the author somehow is able to mend it together in a way that creates a great read. I mean, a teenage exterminator? That can either go really bad, or really good. In this case, the author managed to write it very well. And I am also grateful that Allen spared us of gory violence. 

The characters are obviously well formulated and just hot hot hot. Boy Nobody actually acts quite conceited  but the way he talks, it just works for him. It doesn't come off as conceit, just humor with a tad bit of sarcasm. The love interest possesses something that I have never seen an author attempt. Brutal honesty  yet innocence. Well, she's not that innocent, but you'll see. 

The other characters are equally as great, but I can't give too much away. But oh my triple gosh, the dialogue is rich. Maybe its so great because its realistic and not coated with high school cliches. I loved it.

Alas, the ending. It was amazing. AMAZING. The ending was so brutally honest and just...I don't posses the words to explain it. 

SO. The verdict?
I chose to keep, not kill, this book on my shelves. I loved it. It was the best I've read in a long, long time. I needed something like this. 
Boy Nobody is excellent for everyone. Even if you have a short attention span, there is nonstop action without it being overwhelming. If you want a mature step up from James Patterson, try this book. It puts that guy to rest. 

Boy Nobody will be published on June 11, 2013. Stay tuned. 

How many books have you killed recently? I've killed tons. Comment below on a book you've killed, and what you thought of this review, Boy Nobody, or whatever is on your mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rating