Sunday, June 30, 2013

GLIMPSE by Steven Whibley Review!

Glimpse (The Dean Curse Chronicles, #1)
Glimpse by Steven Whibley
Published April 8, 2013
My Rating: 8.5/10





"Save them, Dean. Save them all...."

Dean Curse avoids attention the way his best friend Colin avoids common sense. Which is why he isn’t happy about being Abbotsford’s latest local hero – having saved the life of a stranger, he is now front page news. Dean’s reason for avoiding the limelight? Ever since his heroic act, he’s been having terrifying visions of people dying and they’re freaking him out so badly his psychologist father just might have him committed. Dean wants nothing more than to lay low and let life get back to normal.

​But when Dean’s visions start to come true, and people really start dying, he has to race against the clock – literally – to figure out what’s happening. Is this power of premonition a curse? Or is Dean gifted with the ability to save people from horrible fates? The answer will be the difference between life and death.


When the author of this book, Steven Whibley, requested that I review this book, he warned me that I might not like it because its considered "middle-grade." (It's really not. It would be better classified as young adult. The main characters are in high school.) Was I glad that I decided to read it! I'm getting extremely sick of the traditional new-adult books where a girl falls in love with a guy, cue steamy love scene. This was something so different and I loved it.

Let's not even talk about the plot. Let's talk about Dean! If only guys like him existed. Our main character was more of  a chivalrous, caring, selfless hero than a fourteen year old boy. The actions he took throughout the book made me question my own decisions had I been in  his place. I felt right at home with his friends, too. The narrative was comical but serious when it needed to be. Not only that, but I felt like I was getting to know each individual person in the story, no matter how short their appearance was.

The story was uniquely crafted and perfectly executed. GLIMPSE was a high-stakes, face-paced novel that kept me glued to the pages. When I reached the end, I was desperate for more of the story. The reader will be left wondering what's next for Dean and the gang.

I can't even recommend this book to a certain reader, because I don't see how anyone could not like this book. Matter fact, I'll put the Amazon link below again. GLIMPSE is the story you've been waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rating