Saturday, May 11, 2013

Review: Kingdom of Heroes by Jay Phillips

Kingdom of Heroes
Publisher: Self Published
324 Pages
Adult Fantasy/Science Fiction 
Reviewed copy in exchange for honest review
My Rating: 9.5/10

Years ago, a gene virus ran rampant across the planet, leaving a small percentage of people gifted/ cursed with extraordinary abilities and humanity itself forever changed. Suddenly, there were people with super strength and speed, people who could read minds, people who could teleport themselves from place to place with but a single thought. Several of these people joined together to form The Seven, the most powerful group of supers the world had ever known. Led by the enigmatic Agent America, The Seven kept the country safe from threats both foreign and internal. That is until the United States government decided the threat of the supers outweighed any protection they could offer. After a war between the super powered and the normals (as non-powered humans are now referred), The Seven have placed themselves as the nation’s rulers, controlling the country through fear and intimidation. But now, someone or something is murdering The Seven one-by-one, single handily attempting to make them pay for all of the sins they have committed. To stop a killer, The Seven turn to a man who hates them as much as anyone. An imprisoned man known only as The Detective finds himself in the unenviable position of helping the people he despises in exchange for his freedom. A noir detective mystery wrapped around the superhero myth, Kingdom of Heroes is a character driven novel that will leave you guessing and entertained until the very end.


Jay Phillips is an amazing author.

He is like a mix between Stephen King and James Patterson. I know for a fact that if a big publishing or press company got a hold of his book, they'd have a field day with him. The book and his writing are incredible.

I love the concept of the book. The Supers VS the Normals is just an awesome plot. It reminds me of the TV show, Heroes. Not only was the plot great, I think he executed it very well. There were always things that would surprise me. Of course there were some sad parts that I wished didn't happen, but overall it just enhanced the quality of the book. 

Our main character, the Detective, is hilarious. If he was a real person, we would be best friends. He is so witty and sarcastic, yet outspoken. One of the things that is just hitting me now is, we barely know anything about the Detective. We don't even know his name, or his past, and neither does he. But like I said, that doesn't take away from the book. It only makes it greater. 

I also love the layout of the book. It alternates between third person narrative  than some journal entries that have articles about the world the book takes place in. At first when I saw that, I was like, "There is no way I have the attention span to read these articles." But I did. The articles were extremely awesome and provided insight. Plus, because my book is written in a similar way, it was cool to see how Jay used the tactic.

The ending was freakin' awesome. You'll love it, trust me.

The only thing I didn't like was the amount of profanity in the book. I know it was part of the main character, but I still wish that it wasn't as...much as it was. 

Overall, Kingdom of Heroes is my new favorite book. Marvel fans, science fiction lovers, and anyone who has ever watched a super-hero themed show will CHEER for it. 

I give it a 9.5 and choose to keep it on my shelves.

Jay, I hope a big publisher finds your book, and gives you the recognition you deserve.


***Remember guys, I still have a giveaway for SHUCKED going on. Please go ahead and enter. I have a free entry option available, so you can get drawn in the contest without doing anything at all! Go check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rating