Sunday, November 8, 2015

Navigating Nanowrimo & My Resurrection

So its no secret that I have absent from this blog for a little over a year. Did anybody miss me? Anyone? Hello?

Needless to say I'm so excited to be back with new content, new reviews, and new everything. Wipe your tears, babies.

So if its not too late to take charge of this blog its definitely not too late to start Nanowrimo! What's that? Its National Novel Writing Month silly!


During Nanowrimo, writers condition themselves to write daily by attempting to smash out a 50k word novel in thirty days. And before you piss yourself, let me add that I did this on my first try when I was fourteen. Alrighty then.

Although its already November 8th, believe me it is not too late! November is the time of discovering what your capable of as a writer, and its a whole lot more than you think.

So as a Nanowrimo survivor, here's my tips:

  1. Outline hella fast. Its already November 8th, what are you waiting for? If you want to get this done you're gonna have to outline your novel (if that's your thing. I highly suggest it) mad quick. Or, pick up an unfinished story, reread, get the juices flowing and get writing.
  2. Set word minimums, not word limits. At this rate you'll have to write about 2,000 words a day to finish on time. Does that mean once you hit 2,000 its time to shut the computer off? No! The goal is to get ahead so if you miss or slack on a day you won't have to worry.
  3. Find inspiration. If you search #nanowrimo on Tumblr, you'll find tons of people like you just trying to poop out a novel. That's my favorite way to get inspired. The actual Nanowrimo website has lots of cool ways to connect with other writers too, just don't get distracted.
  4. If you're not gonna write early, get your laundry done. If you have a few extra hours in the morning and you already have decided you won't be spending that time writing, instead get all your chores out the way so when you do want to write, you have nothing to stop you.
  5. Look back at that crappy, rushed novel and smile in pride. Rome wasn't built in a day! Its okay to not be the next James Patterson on December 1. But one good thing about writing is you can always revise. And revise and revise.

Are you doing NANOWRIMO this year? Leave me a comment and let me know how its going for you, and your tips!



1 comment:

  1. I didn't do NANOWRIMO this year, but I'm thinking of trying next year just to see if I can do it. Sounds fun, but intense.

    ReplyDelete

Rating