Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Review: In Harmony (Fenbrook Academy #1)

Allow me to reintroduce...In Harmony!

18325523

NA Romance
Amazon Link
My Rating: 7/10

Everyone expects her to succeed...
Karen plays the cello like an angel, and it's the only thing that makes her truly feel alive. But her father's dream--for her to join a prestigious orchestra--leaves no time in her life for anything but music...not even love. Trapped on her path, she doesn't know how to rebel.

Everyone expects him to fail...
Connor plays rock guitar like the devil himself, and his ability has got him all the way from a dead-end life in Belfast to a scholarship at Fenbrook Academy. But beneath his arrogance and charm, he doesn't believe he has what it takes. He's spent his time in New York drinking and partying, and the only future he sees is a return to Ireland as soon as he flunks out.

But what no one expects...
When Karen's duet partner is injured, the bad boy guitarist and the shy, sheltered cellist are forced to team up. Neither likes the idea, but what begins as anger and distrust slowly spirals into love...and lust. If they can face up to their feelings, they might just have a chance together. If Connor will allow Karen to stop his fall, maybe he can show her a life she never thought possible...


I have this song stuck in my head. I bet you can guess which one...

I immediately was attracted to In Harmony because of the musical elements, and I thought the author could take that subject to many places. Good places. I was right.

Music plays a big part in this book, and you can almost hear the notes being played in your ear. What the author creates is amazing. Being that this is not a visual work, its remarkable how the words can take you into Fenbrook Academy...

Let's face it, the plot is one overused in the New Adult industry. Bad boy meets good girl. I get it. Lucky for us, it was different this time. The music managed to make the plot completely original, plus that and the intertwining stories of Karen's friends. Karen's character was extremely well written. Sometimes I wanted to jump in their and give her the confidence she needed. Other times, I wanted to guide her along like a mother would her child and be like, "No dear. Keep your legs closed and stay away from Connor."

But the thing is, Connor wasn't all that bad! He had a soft side that I fell in love with. His inner personality made me go, "Aww..." I mean, I can't give too much away (I wish I could) but he's personality is almost as beautiful as his love for...well, I can't give that away either.

The only thing I didn't like about the book was the sexual crudeness. I think a common misconception in the NA industry is sex is what makes the novel. If this book didn't have such an extensive plot line, I'd consider it erotic. I know the author didn't want to restrain her creativity, but I wish it was done in an adult novel and that more mild NA books existed.

But my verdict is this book was good enough to read again! I hope you all get lost in the pages like I did.

La la la...

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of music playing such an important role in the plot. But, the sexual crudeness you describe would ruin it for me. I'll stay away from this one.

    ReplyDelete

Rating