Thursday, June 27, 2013

Review: Chains of Loss by Robert Sier


Chains of Loss by Robert Sier
My Rating: 7/10




He spent yesterday collecting space debris to sell.

He woke up this morning crashed on an Earth that shouldn't exist.

He has no idea how he got there, what he's doing, or what the bloodthirsty orcs who are screaming for his death are saying.

He's a prophet's pawn, a potential savior, an average guy cyborg of a 35th-century stellar colony.

He's Derek, and he really wants to know what's going on.



Characters: I really liked the two main characters in this book, which kind of surprises me, because this is not the type of book I'd normally read. Derek especially was very likable because of his heroic, gracious, and giving personality. Mycah and Derek were also complete opposites, which made them a good fit for this story. However, sometimes it was hard to keep up with the minor characters due to the alternating perspective. Some minor characters I also found likable, and also uniquely carved. 

Plot: I can't really accurately critique the plot, and this is why: Books with complex blueprints, such as the DaVinci Code, often confuse me and do not hold my interest. This did hold my interest but my rating for it went down because it was not carved for my "sort-of mind", so to speak. It was hard for me to keep up with the names, creatures, and locations. But I know lots of people have no problem with books like these and actually crave these sort of things. In my opinion, the story should have been separated into two to make it easier to follow. 

Hook: The thing that drew me to this story was the blurb and the beginning drew me in as well.

Overall: I think the author is extremely talented, but the book was just not written for me. I liked the story, the idea, and I wished I would've understood more of it,  but I couldn't. 


Decide for yourself. Read a sample of the book here. Also, check it out on Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rating